Friday, February 1, 2008

Mariners Sign Brad Wilkerson

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2004157399_mari01.html

Rumor has it that this is a precursor to trading Adam Jones to the Orioles for Erik Bedard. With the departure of Jose Guillen in the off season Jones was projected to be the starting right fielder for the M's. Wilkerson has been injury plagued the last few seasons but I personally think this is a good signing for the M's. In my opinion he is a slight upgrade defensively over Jose Guillen and if healthy has the ability to hit 30 HR's. His contract is 1 year, 3 million with incentives. If he ends up hurt or under performs we have depth in the system with guys such as Balentien.

Wilkerson hit 32 HR's in 2004 when he was with the Montreal Expos but has struggled to stay healthy since. Sometimes you have to take chances and I think this one could work out well for the Mariners. If I am wrong, I'm wrong. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

No comments: