Monday, June 30, 2008

Seattle Mariners Game 80: Mariners 4 Padres 2

I liked the Silva signing from the very beginning. I have always thought the money to be a little much but I stand by my opinion that I thought that this was a good signing. Silva is a workhorse that will generally give you 7 hard innings on any given night. To start the season Silva looked like a man on a mission to prove to everyone that he was worth every penny of the contract he had signed. He started the season at 3-0 giving up only 9 earned runs in his first 4 starts. But then something happened and it looked like the only thing Silva was trying to prove was how many donuts he could eat on any given day. Looking heavier than his normal heavy self Silva went on to lose 9 of his next 12 starts and. Going into this game he had not won a game since April 17th. In 7 of those starts he failed to make it past the 6th inning. NOT good times.

Tonight however the Carlos Silva that I advocated showed up. The Carlos Silva that I still think was a good signing regardless of the cost. I'm not paying him so why do I care what he is making. Tonight was more of the Silva I expect to see on a consistent basis regardless of how many donuts he ate that day. 7 innings pitched, 8 hits, 2 earned runs, ZERO walks. MUCH much better. Let us all hope THIS Silva takes the mound next time around and not the Fatty McButterpants who ate too many donuts for lunch.
I bet Adrian Beltre wishes we could play the Padres every night. So far in this series he is 5 for 9 with 5 RBI's. I have been waiting for Beltre to break out all season long. Maybe this is his time.

No comments: