Friday, April 18, 2008

Seattle Mariners Game 17: Mariners 8 Oakland 1

Once again Carlos Silva went out to try and prove to everyone that he is well worth the 48 million the Mariners gave him this off season. And once again he showed us just how right he is. Another strong outing for him. 7 innings pitched, 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 strikeout and 1 earned run. He now sits at 3-0 on the season with a 2.79 ERA. I have said it a million times before but I will say it again. This was a GREAT signing for the M's. Ryan Rowland-Smith and Brandon Morrow came in to finish the game off for the M's. Nice to see Morrow back, let us hope he is stronger than before and we can look forward to him in the late innings as setup man to closer JJ Putz.

Big nights from Lopez and Ibanez (what else is new?), both were 3-5 and Lopez had 2 RBI's and Raul 1.

"With or without a big contract, I am the same pitcher, trying to do my best every time I cross the line," Silva said. "I give everything every time. This team gave me a big opportunity and thank God everything is going well."

Class act all the way. I am glad we have this guy.

Big series this weekend as the M's take on the Angels in a 3 game set at Angel Stadium. We took 2 of 3 against them at Safeco last week. With the bottom of rotation going I am a little concerned about this one but we will see how it goes.

R.A Dickey will start his first game in 2 years as he fills in for injured ace Erik Bedard. Will be interesting to see what Dickey can do. He now throws the knuckball which could be fun to watch. Joe Saunders will go for the Angels which has me a little concerned. His last start against us we made him look like Cy Young himself. Okay well maybe not quite Cy Young, but he beat us and we did make him look a lot better than he is. Hopefully this game will be a different story.

No comments: