Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Game 1 is in the books. Mariners 5 Rangers 2.

I waited months for last nights game to arrive. Everyday I wished it was March 31st. Finally it arrived, I was afraid that I would be let down and all my excitement and expectations would be somehow squashed. Well they weren't squashed and I loved every minute of last nights game.

The team intro's always give me goosebumps and Dave Niehaus throwing out the games ceremonial first pitch and saying "that's ball one" was priceless.
I will admit I was a wee bit nervous about how Erik Bedard would handle his first home start as the ace of the Mariners pitching staff. So much was made of his spring training stats down in Peoria, Arizona. I will admit they weren't pretty. His ERA was high and he was giving up home runs as if they were nothing. But it was spring training and in my opinion means nothing as far as Erik goes. Bill Krueger said it best last night when he was like "Erik isn't trying to make the team." And it is true. Erik went into this season as the Mariners ace regardless of what he did in spring training. Overall I was happy with Erik's performance last night. His curve ball was virtually unhittable. He was throwing mid 90's even with the cold weather in Seattle last night. His pitch count was a little higher than I think we all would have liked and after only 5 innings came out of the game having thrown 106 pitches. The umpires stingy strike zone certainly did not help matters but at the end of the night what mattered the most is that he only gave up 1 run and 3 hits through those 5 innings. He kept his team in the game.

The bullpen was outstanding last night. Sean Green showed last year was not a fluke and Eric O'Flaherty was just outright good last night. Of course when it is the 9th inning and J.J is coming into the game you know most likely he will come in and shut it down and lock up the win. There is a reason why they play Thunderstruck when he enters the game. He brings thunder alright, and I LOVE it. It doesn't get any better than watching JJ strike out the last batter of the game.

It would have been nice had the offence woke up BEFORE the 6th inning. But at least they woke up. They scored 2 in the 6th inning and then 3 in the 7th. It was nice to see Jose Lopez have a big night going 2-4 with 2 RBI's. The M's need a big season from guys like him. Felix goes for the Mariners tonight. If Felix starts this year off the way he did last season we could be in for a great season from him. The addition of Erik Bedard to this team allows Felix to just do what he does best and that is pitch. No pressures anymore of being that number 1 guy. The picture below is from the night Felix almost threw a no hitter against the Red Sox. He ended up with a 1 hit complete game shutout. Chris and I were at that game and he was amazing. Let's hope the King reigns tonight.

1 comment:

Linda MacTravel said...

SUPER WRAP-UP, Evey! I'm a BELIEVER! The sun has been out all day today (after all the hail melted) and so I'm looking forward to the roof being OPEN for tonight's game! GO KKKKKing Felix!!